Friends often ask us why it’s so important to find alternatives to Facebook. If you’re wondering about this too, please browse the list of reasons on this page. Click each link to read the news story at its source.
- Because Facebook is lobbying against privacy laws, globally. (The Guardian)
- Because Facebook was covertly paying teens 13 years old and older for access to spy on them. (TechCrunch)
- Because Facebook gave exclusive access to your private messages and friends to large tech companies, device vendors, retailers, entertainment sites, automakers and media organizations. (New York Times)
- Because Facebook facilitated Brexit by spreading misinformation, made a fortune, then tried to sue to prevent people from finding out.
- Because Facebook hired climate change deniers as fact-checkers.
- Because Facebook stole 1.5 million people’s email contacts after asking them for their email passwords. (Business Insider)
- Because Facebook took the phone number you gave them for “security” reasons and then used it for advertising. (The Guardian)
- Because Facebook keeps all the videos you upload, even when you “delete” them. (Internet Archive/NY Mag)
- Because Facebook is experimenting with manipulating your emotions by showing you specific content. (The Atlantic)
- Because Facebook employees are reading your private messages one by one to train Facebook’s artificial intelligence. (The Verge)
- Because Facebook’s plan to fuse Instagram, Facebook and Whatsapp is not about your privacy, it’s about consolidating all the data they have on you. (OneZero)
- Because Facebook updated an old press release with information that millions of passwords of Instagram accounts had been compromised while the Mueller report was being released in order to avoid criticism and scrutiny. (CNN)
- Because Facebook hired the author of the PATRIOT act, the most significant threats to civil liberties, privacy, and democratic traditions in US history, as general counsel. (Observer)
- Because Facebook employees say “F*ck ethics, money is everything”. (Mashable)
- Because Facebook not only knows conspiracy theories are being spread on the platform, they make a fortune out of it. (Wolfie Christl on Twitter)
- Because Facebook doesn’t want you to know the reason you see certain ads, it just pretends it does. (Faye Lipson on Twitter)
This list was last updated May 7, 2019
If you’re ready to make the switch away from Facebook, here’s how to do it.
Replace these social apps:
With these apps:
- Diaspora – Facebook alternative based on the principles of decentralization, freedom, and privacy.
- Friendica – a Facebook-style social network with no central ownership.
- Mastodon – With millions of users, Mastodon is the most popular alternative social network.
- Okuna – Privacy-friendly, transparent, and community-driven social network.
- Pixelfed – Ad-free photo sharing app with chronological timeline.
- Tookapic – 365-day photo-sharing platform that encourages you to be thankful for beautiful, ordinary days.
Replace these messaging apps:
With these apps:
- Riot.im– End-to-end encrypted Slack alternative that allows you to run your own server.
- Signal – Open-source text, voice, and video messaging app developed by a nonprofit organization. Sustained entirely by grants and donations.
- Telegram – Fast and secure cloud-based messaging.
- Wire – Encrypted, open-source application with support for Slack-style channels, built by ex-Skype employees.
- Zom – Open-source messaging app created by group of friends with an interest in Tibetan culture.
Replace the VR ecosystem:
- HTC Vive – Virtual reality ecosystem by HTC and Valve.
- PlayStation VR – Virtual reality ecosystem by Sony on the PlayStation.